Calvin:"Someday I'll write my own philosophy book". Hobbes:"Virtue needs some cheaper thrills"

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Some Gems from Khalil Gibran

I have just started reading Khalil Gibran's Greatest Works. Everybody knows about 'The Prophet'. But his other works are equally good.He is the third most widely read poet in history - after Shakespeare and Lao-Tzu.(+ other standard wiki stuff..Spare both of us the pain and look up there if you want to).Too much for an unschooled Lebanese immigrant?? A couple of pages were enough to convince me he deserves this stature. His work blurs the lines between prose and poetry.They sum up life's truths - from the humble ones to the heroic with enchanting beauty.As I haven't written anything worthwhile in the last six months or so,why not give a highlight of his work. Here we go.  

  • We often borrow from our tomorrows to pay the debt of our yesterdays.
  • Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from the truth. 
  • There is a space between man's imagination and man's achievement that may only be traversed by his longing. 
  • If all they say of good and evil were true, then my life is but one long crime.
  • Inspiration will always sing.Inspiration will never explain.
  • Dig anywhere in the earth and you will find a treasure. Only you must dig with the faith of a peasant.
  • When two women talk,they say nothing.. When one woman speaks,she reveals all of life.
  • Strange that we all defend our wrongs with more vigor than our rights. 
  • Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you.
  • Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.
  • Paradise is there, behind that door, in the next room. But I have lost the key..Perhaps I have only mislaid it.
  • Strange that creatures without backbones have the hardest shells.
  • But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.

2 comments: